About the role
You will lead in a highly collaborative, team-oriented and fast-paced start-up environment with a strong commitment to delivering and in ways that cut across traditional industry boundaries. You will be responsible for a team of biologists as well as an integrated interdisciplinary team within a matrix organizational structure. A successful candidate will focus on proposing, validating, and uncovering novel biological insights and molecular leads aided by the computational discovery platform. The candidate will have broad areas of biological expertise and interests as Peptone is focusing on a number of broad scientific areas including immunology, oncology and neurodegeneration.
Key responsibilities include:
- Establish deep domain area expertise in early program areas such as immunology, autoimmunity, oncology, inflammation and neurodegeneration.
- Lead and develop a team of immunologists/biologists within preclinical programs from in vitro discovery to in vivo proofs-of-concept.
- Oversee ex vivo and in vivo research to investigate molecular interactions and translate insights into lead candidates.
- Manage external research projects with vendors and CROs as well as academic groups.
- Collaborating closely with multi-disciplinary team members across the entire organization.
- Hands-on supervision, leadership, and mentoring of research associates and junior scientists.
- Establishing strong scientific excellence and fostering an open culture of challenging assumptions, open scientific exchange, and deep scientific rigor.
- PhD in biology, immunology, or related discipline, with demonstrable experience in the pharmaceutical or biotech industry.
- Demonstrated track record of expertise in immunology, or a related discipline, evidenced through publications, patents, programs, and platform technologies.
- Deep expertise and demonstrated leadership in one area of biology such as immunology, cellular biology, and/or translational research with experience in selecting and developing new biology disease programs in key areas of interest.
- Experience with developing and/or implementing mammalian in vitro and in vivo disease models.
- Experience managing critical path activities and strategy for indications in key areas of interest.
- Experience delivering pre-clinical data packages and IND-enabling studies.
- Capable of managing multiple projects concurrently in a fast-paced work environment, highly motivated, strong work ethic.
- Experience working in a venture capital-backed biotech company environment.
- Experience of managing and leveraging a network of CROs, academic collaborators and partnerships.
- Strong verbal, and written communication, influencing and problem-solving skills.
Peptone is a category-defining translational biophysics company focusing on the intersection of physics, biology and supercomputing. Currently, we are in the scale-up phase, where our efforts go into building out our experimental lab capacity in Switzerland while growing the HPC and ML teams in the UK.
Delivering first-in-class medicines for better patient outcomes is our obsession. Translating biophysics of intrinsic protein disorder to generate de novo protein therapeutics is our passion.
What we bring…
- A non-hierarchical environment where everyone has a voice to influence and shape the company’s future direction
- An appreciative atmosphere with fair salaries, company benefits and top-class working equipment
- A highly dynamic environment with plenty of opportunities for career development
- A highly skilled and interdisciplinary team that is passionate about proteins, science and business
- A fast-paced company with novel science and academic rigour at its core
- A company that values your contribution to scientific endeavour and supports the presentation and publication of your novel discoveries
- A flexible working setup to ensure a work-life balance